Freitag, 24. August 2012

the introduction / looking back

?

For my first post I'm not just going to update you guys on what's been happening pokerwise in the last few weeks but I will start off with a short review of my past year - and briefly the time before that - so you know my history a little bit.

I've been around for a while (gotta check OPR (Officialpokerrankings.com) to find out for how long exactly). I entered the world of Poker through a female schoolmate's brother. I actually got introduced to the game against my will since I've had no interest in it up to that point and wasn't really eager to change that. I then got sucked in pretty fast, this game just fascinated me and it also was tons of fun to play. Whenever I was playing in a homegame setting, the main thing I had in mind was setting up the next homegame.


2008-2010 --- SNGs, 180mens

After making some brief playmoney experience I created my real money account on Pokerstars (March 2008) and called on my free $50 from Pokerstrategy. After loosing that, I deposited some money, lost it, eventually re-deposited, lost some, won some, cashed a little something out, deposited again... The usual no-bankroll-management-at-all rollercoaster.

As far as I remember I started off with grinding single table SNGs. I think it were the $1-$5 ones (can't remember the stakes in detail). It didn't take too long for me to discover that there's no sense in playing regular-speed SNGs and scraped those entirely in the favor of turbos. That's when I also discovered the juicy pricepools of 180men turbo SNGs which ran from as low as $2. I became an active member of a Swiss Poker forum and started making small profits in the low stake 180mens. I'll never forget how incredibly soft the $3.30+R 180mens were. I mean, I was making money even though I considered Q2s to be my favourite hand...

I can clearly remember how scared I was at the time to play the $12 180mens because I often would bust those quick and loose a significant amount of money (at least that was significant amount of money to me that time). To make it clear: the Big $55 (former Daily Ninety Grand) seemed to be a higstakes tournament for me and I would not dare taking a shot at it.

In the process of SNG grinding I somehow managed to bink 3rd place in a $11 tournament one day which was good for like $2.7k. I got a bit into handposting/-reviewing and started making small progress on the theory side. I still was focussing onto the 180mens though. Eventually I moved up to the $12 ones and was regularly playing sessions where I mixed them with the $3.30 rebuy 180mens. I wasn't crushing them but winning nevertheless. Around the same time I started watching coaching videos and got familiar with HoldemManager and Tableninja and bought an external screen (so I could overlook all tables I was playing at all times). I also stayed active in the Poker forum and posted hands on a regular basis.

My next MTT score was in July 2010 where I got 6th in the 3.30+R for 2.3k. Apparently I hadn't really made much progress as far as MTTs go for almost 2 years... Looking back I probably was happy with my small SNG income and just played MTTs occasionally.


2011 --- Transformation from SNGs to MTTs

According to OPR I stopped the SNG-grind by the end of January 2011. 21st of January I got 4th in the 11+R for 2.6k. On the 7th of February I binked a $5 freezeout and got 1/2940 for 6k. I then went broke playing some Sunday Majors and using up money for real life purposes. I then was playing staked for a couple of months (on Stars and FullTilt). I was granted a budget of around 5k and was close to loose it all when I had a cash on FullTilt for like 6.5k. Since the multi entry tourneys were running at the time and Sundays always make up for some good money loss I obviously ended up losing the stake-monies.

So the staking deal was over and I deposited like $100 out of my own pocket, grinded it up to a couple of hundred Dollars within a week and runnered up in the $11 Rebuy on a Sunday for 11.9k. Pretty decent timing for my biggest cash so far, just 1 week after the steaking deal was put to an end... Three days later I made a 18th place run in the $320 Wednesday 80 Grand for 3.5k. The Wednesday 80 Grand by the way is the juiciest tournament on stars in my opinion. I don't think there's another tournament out there that offers the same strange combination of mid-to-high buy-in and  medium-to-low reg density. There are so many terrible sattelite qualifiers in there usually, it must be the strange time it's running (start is 3.00 in the morning my time!).

At the time I had just finished my Bachelors Degree and was planing on giving Poker a shot since I was still on the lookout for place to serve my civil service duty anyways. I was grinding 4-7 days/nights a week and really wasn't doing too much away from that except on enjoying our rooftop when the sun was out. I regularly went to bed when my girlfriend got up for work around 6-7am. Usually the sun would be back up already and I would sleep until 3 or 4 in the afternoon just to get up and start grinding again.

One and a half months into that routine I became 3rd in the above mentioned Juiciest Tournament on Stars for 10.9k. By the time the tournament was over for me it was 11.30am. I was torn up but still went for celebration-lunch with the gf (almost fell asleep though). One and a half weeks after that I had managed to practically run out of money again (due to living costs and some debths). A Sunday later that month I spewed away my 25bb stack semi-deep in the Sunday Million with a play that made me want to shoot myself in the booty. I was so pissed that I decided to punish myself and play the Supersonic with the last $$$ in my account. Of course I somehow laddered up to 5th place for 6k.

As fall was approaching, so was Pokerstars' WCOOP. Prior to the series starting I again had used up all my funds (since I was entirely depending on Poker income to cover my living costs - therefore had to cashout on the regular - and I was not following any bankroll management). Therefore I decided to enter a staking deal which was offered to me by a poker buddy who has also become a good friend in real life.

The WCOOP didn't really go too well, although I got 11th in a 2nd chance 6max $320 event where I had made an obnoxious all-in call of a 4bet shove for 40ish big blinds with ATo. I did have some history against villain but it's just not an excellent play with 11 players left and a reasonable chipstack most of the time (if I find the hand I might post it, just for old times sake).

In November I had 2 small final tables and 3 final table bubbles. In December I finished the Wednesday $320 80k in 12th place for 1.7k. I had managed to loose aces to queens for a chipleader pot, which made my day (and pretty much my month) obviously. I then shipped a package for UKIPT Galway and missed out on a PCA package by a fraction of a hair (got 8th with 5-6 packages rewarded I think).


2012 --- Starting with heater, followed by a schmeater

I dont know how I did it but the day after new year's eve I somehow managed to pull my ish together and grind another Sunday. I got 3rd in the Sunday 2nd Chance for 21k wich was exactly the amount of make up I had accumulated during the prior 3-4 months. So that was cool but not great since I was not earning squat.I actually got kind of unlucky when 3handed the shortest stack held JTo vs the chipleaders fake 4s (what card in a poker deck does look the closest to a 4 again?!?!)...

Two days later I qualified for EPT Deauville through a 215 Double Chance Satellite, the package being worth 10.3k. Five days after that I had another 4.7k cash in a $215 tournament, where I got 5th (probably was the $265 Knockout, can't remember though). I had like 4 ugly final table bubbles after that and two small wins (55fo [the one with no guarantee] and 33c). So that was my January heater.

The following months were pretty ugly since I final table bubbled all types of tournaments and was really running like crap. In April I was lucky enough to qualify for UKIPT Dublin with my own rakeback monies, so I had the luxury of taking my 3rd poker related trip this year. All the live events were pretty much fun but all of them were losing trips as well.

In July I got 14th in the Sunday 2nd Chance in a pretty sick spot. I ran Queens into Kings 10handed 2nd chipleader vs the chipleader... It was such a sick spot because we've been getting at each other quite a lot and I found myself cold4betting queens in a cold4b spot that I've been taking two times before already, so I really almost didn't have a choice but to do it again and 6bet shove his small 5bet... when he had kings.
I also managed to finish 10th in the $162 Sunday 6max, final table bubbled another $265 Knockout and missed the chance of binking big when I finished the Big109 in 11th on a Sunday having been 3rd in chips with 23 players left. I will possibly post a couple of lategame spots out of this tournament on here if I feel like it in the coming days/weeks.

This month (August) I've had some turbo final tables and maintained to be pretty much breakeven for the month (I almost consider this a victory)... Last Saturday i chopped the Saturday Speedway for 4.8k and final table bubbled the Hot44 the same night. The day before yesterday I got 8th in the Hot55 and last night I finished the $55(17.5k grtd) in 13th.


I'm really looking forward to the WCOOP and eagerly awaiting the next Sunday grind. Hopefully I can aquire some more funds for the WCOOP!

On a sidenote: I apologise if this entry is too long or a hard read but I don't feel like going over the whole thing again and again and I think it doesn't really matter since it's all about the past anyways (oviously adressing the two people reading my blog, since no one else really gives a flying f***   :P). I actually went over it again because I noticed a few things that weren't to carefully worded.

Cheers

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen